(Source: Salt Lake Valley Health Department)

A Temporary Event Permit must be obtained for all temporary event food service that is offered to the public in Salt Lake County. The following information applies to all temporary event food service that is offered to the public. Where any advertising or inducement exists for the community to attend, regardless of the cost to the individual, an event will be considered "public".

All food service vendors must obtain a Temporary Event Permit. These include existing restaurants, fast-food operations, caterers, churches, community or school organizations, volunteer and social groups. Each vendor is responsible for obtaining their own permit.

There are three types of permits: a daily permit, good for one day of temporary food service; a three day single event permit, good for a single event that is three days or less of temporary food service; and an extended permit, good for up to 14 days of temporary food service.

Three day single event permits are not available for multiple events.

Extended permit holders must obtain a permit specific to each event. These permits may be obtained at time of application, or must be obtained in person at the Bureau of Food Protection prior to the event. A receipt must be produced when receiving additional permits for verification of days still available on the 14-day extended permit.

Before applying for a permit, please decide on the following:

  • The complete menu including beverages.
  • The booth structure (whether provided by the event sponsor or the vendor).
  • The equipment that will be required, including a hand washing station.
  • Methods to maintain hot and cold product temperatures.
  • How all foods will be transported and stored.
  • Where and how clean up of equipment will be done.
  • Who will be in charge of the booth (must have a Food Handler Permit).

Note: No food for the public may be prepared or stored in a private residence.

The use of a Health Department approved restaurant, school, civic center, church kitchen, etc. for food preparation or storage is acceptable with a letter of permission. Discuss this with us.

Food-service vehicles, including rental beverage trailers (such as those from Coke/Pepsi), must meet health standards for temporary event operations.

Temporary Event food booths are inspected by the Health Department. All violations must be corrected. Un-permitted booths or unsafe food practices will result in food removal or booth closure.

The permit is issued "in-person" only, so you will have the opportunity to discuss any questions. The person in charge must demonstrate adequate knowledge of food safety and sanitation practices in order to be receive a Temporary Food Permit. If spoken or written English presents a communication problem, please feel free to bring a translator to any Health Department meetings or inspections. At time of interview we request a copy of your food handler permit or manager certification.

A Food Handler Card is not the same as a Temporary Food Permit. BOTH items are required to operate a temporary food booth.

Event Coordinators:

These pages should be copied and distributed to participants. It is not your responsibility to obtain permits for vendors, but you must not allow any vendor to set up and operate who doesn't have one. Please submit a list of your food vendors as soon as possible to ensure proper permitting. The Bureau of Food Protection fax number is (801) 313-6609.

Office Hours for Permit Application:

Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Bureau of Food Protection at 788 East Woodoak Lane (5400 S.)

Permits should be secured well in advance of the event. Please plan ahead and do not put off permitting until the last possible day. We may not be able to accommodate you at the last minute.

Temporary Food Permit Fee Schedule:

Daily Permit: $45.00 per calendar day of operation ($45 for 1 day, $90 for 2 days, etc).
Three-Day Single Event Permit: $50.00 (For 3-day Events)
Extended Permit: $295.00 (Up to 14 separate days of temporary food service per calendar year)

 Fee must be paid at the time the permit is issued.

Food Handler Cards :

At temporary events at least one food service worker must have a Food Handler Card or manager certification. A food handler card is recommended for all supervisory personnel. Please link to Food Handler's Permit.

For additional information, contact the Bureau of Food Protection at (801) 313-6620.

Download Temporary Event Food Permit

|  About Us   |  Festival Album   |  Festival Programs   |  Sponsorship   |  Booths   |  Volunteers   |  Contact Us  |

All Rights Reserved @ Summer Festival Committee